Sheffield People’s Theatre
Young Company (18 – 25 years)
The Young Company supports the next generation of ambitious young artists who are serious about developing a career in the arts. We will work with a company of 15 young people aged 18 – 25 who have a clear passion and interest in making art with a group of like-minded individuals. We welcome applications from different types of performers and makers, not just actors – we’d love to see the talent that is out there in the city!
This programme will support the development of skills and explore a range of careers within the industry. Over the course of a year you will:
- Develop skills in performance technique, including script and devising.
- Develop theatre making skills including movement, writing, voice work, music and ensemble.
- Partner with a current Sheffield Theatres production for an insight into rehearsals, technical rehearsals and show running at a professional producing theatre.
- Receive mentoring and workshops form industry professionals working at the theatre.
- Explore a range of roles within the industry and career support.
- Support with Audition technique and paths into the industry.
- Create a brand new piece of theatre to be performed in our Studio, with support from our in-house team.
We audition our Young Company through taster workshops. This gives us the opportunity to meet you and most importantly for you to get a feel for what a Young Company workshop might be like and show off your skills in a non-pressured group environment.
There is no need to prepare anything, just come along and give it a go! We will not be singling anyone out or making you read a Shakespeare speech, we will just introduce ourselves to each other, play some games and give you a couple of fun group tasks.
We will also end the session with a Q&A with members of the team and one of our Young Company alumni from the previous year to give you the opportunity to ask anything about the project.
Audition sessions are on:
Mon 4 October, 5.30pm - 7pm
Tue 5 October, 5.30pm - 7pm
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with Pippa, Participation Coordinator, on 07852041453 or [email protected]
We offer alternative application processes including Zoom meeting, written application and phone chat. Please find more details on the application form.
The Young Company will run between October 2021 and July 2022 in which there will be weekly meets, projects and intensives. Generally, workshops take place on Thursday evenings 6.00 - 9.00pm and some weekends.
The first workshop will be held on Thursday 14 October at 6 - 9pm and carry on weekly from there. The schedule outline is as follows:
14 October – 16 December 2021: Project 1
16 January – 21 May 2022: Project 2/Show Prep
21 – 28 May 2022: Show Week
09 June – 14 July 2022: Project 3
Company members will be given a full schedule in the first week.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Pippa, [email protected]
Applications are open NOW!
If you are interested in applying, please fill in the application form by clicking the link below
Deadline: Friday 13 September, 5pm.