Sheffield People’s Theatre
Young Company (18 – 25 years)
The Young Company supports the next generation of ambitious young artists who are serious about developing a career in the arts. We will work with a company of 15 young people aged 18 – 25 who have a clear passion and interest in making theatre with a group of like-minded individuals. We welcome applications from different types of performers, not just actors – we’d love to see the talent that is out there in the city!
This programme will support the development of skills and explore a range of careers within the industry. Over the course of a year you will:
- Develop skills in performance technique, including script and devising. This may also include creating digital work in the current pandemic and explore work relevant to now.
- Develop theatre-making skills including movement, writing, voice work, music and ensemble.
- Partner with a current Sheffield Theatres production and develop a short performance in response.
- Receive mentoring and workshops from industry professionals working at the theatre.
- Explore a range of roles within the industry.
- Support with Audition technique and paths into the industry.
Towards the end of the year the Young Company will produce a new piece of work which will be performed at Sheffield Theatres.
Things have been a little different this year, and with that in mind we have been planning new and different ways of delivering our work. We have been thinking about the Young Company and how this year presents some new and exciting challenges and opportunities to create some exciting theatre.
One of the changes we have made is the application process. As we can't meet in person at the minute we ask for you to film a short video of yourself detailing the following:
- Why would you like to be part of the Young Company?
- Talk about your experience and your passion and interest for theatre-making and the arts
- Which performer/theatre company/artist inspires you the most?
- A short monologue or performance of another kind, no more than 1 minute maximum. This could be an extract from a play, a poem, a part of a favourite book, a song or a speech. There is some guidance towards the bottom of the application form on what we are looking for, what to think about and how to send it.
If you do not have access to a recording device or would feel more comfortable applying in a different way then it doesn't matter, there is an alternative application process. You will need to complete the questions on the Application Form and the Learning and Participation team will schedule a phone conversation with you, details of this are at the end of the application form.
The Young Company will run between January and November 2021, there will be weekly meets, projects and intensives. Generally they will take place on Thursday evenings 6.00 - 9.00pm and some weekends.
Because of the current pandemic, some sessions will run digitally and we will pay close attention to the changing health and safety guidelines. Hopefully, the majority of sessions will take place at the Crucible Theatre.
The first workshop will be held on Thursday 7 January, 6 - 9pm. A full schedule will be supplied after the Christmas break.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Pippa, [email protected]
Applications are open NOW!
If you are interested in applying, please fill out the application form
Wednesday 09 December 2020, 5pm.
For further information please contact me
Pippa AtkinsonEmail me